Monday, April 21, 2014

Newsletter: Apr. 22, 2014: Sarah's Theology

 


What is Sarah Stewart’s theology?
[MSC’s note: In a UUA document called the “Ministerial Record,” all UU ministers who seek settled ministries are asked: “What is your dominant theology, and how do you deal with other Unitarian Universalist theologies with which you may not be in sympathy?” In her own words, here is how the Rev. Sarah Stewart responded.]
My theology begins with human experience. Each of us comes to know ultimate reality through our own experiences. The ethics of those convictions are borne out in community, where we come together with diverse people from diverse cultures, backgrounds and walks of life. If we carry historically privileged identities, it is especially important that we seek out understanding of the experiences of those from historically marginalized communities. What I want to know about a theology different from my own is what sort of action it encourages toward the wellbeing and flourishing of humans and other life in this world which we all share.
In my theology, congregational life is one of the most important forms of human experience. The first principle which our congregations covenant to affirm and promote is the inherent worth and dignity of every person. I believe that individual inherent worth is developed to its greatest potential in the context of a religious community. Our lives are made up of private and communal moments. Yet it is through our participation in an intentional congregational community … that we reflect on the value [of] our lives and the contribution those lives are making to the larger world.
My own life has been nurtured and sustained by my experience of a loving Spirit. This faith is not a matter of quantifiable knowledge. In those hardest times in my life: during a time when I could not find work, and when my husband and I lost a pregnancy; in those times, there has come a point where I felt held and buoyed up by a loving force. Sometimes I know it simply as the feeling of companionship. My experience of God teaches me that all human beings are fundamentally equal and are deserving of compassion and love. To me, a loving Spirit is not a reality to be proven or disproven through metaphysics or science. Rather, it is the name I give to that experience which breaks through my everyday egotism and directs my life toward loving kindness.
I grew up in a liberal Christian household, a tradition that filled our home both when my family was Episcopalian, and when we became Unitarian Universalists when I was eleven years old. From then on, my religious experience included humanism, exploration of goddess traditions, and celebration of world religions. My husband and I still share a progressive and liberating understanding of Jesus's life and ministry. We celebrate the seasons of the natural year and the Christian year with our children, while also educating them about the world’s religious traditions. I turn to the teachings of Jesus, of the Hebrew Bible, of the Buddha, and of other spiritual masters in my personal life and my public ministry.
My theology provides grounding for my spiritual leadership and informs my understanding of my place in Unitarian Universalism’s diversity. My job as a minister is not to convince people of my own theological outlook, but rather to encourage each person in their spiritual growth. My spiritual journey has developed out of my own particular experiences; as a minister, I help others understand their experiences in light of their own spiritual journeys, not my own.
Finally, I believe that it is this world, and the people and natural wonders within it, that are due our theological attention, and whose welfare should be the right end of religious and theological work. Humans create religious communities; we interpret our religious experience and allow it to frame how we act in the world. The problems and ethics of this world, and the suffering and joy of real people, demand our attention as people of faith.

For more of Sarah’s words, click her website (ignore the “login” button) at
or click her blog at



No comments:

Post a Comment